Tuesday, April 16, 2013

DIY: Stay-dry Cloth Diaper Liners




We have been cloth diapering since my son was a few weeks old. It's had its ups and downs and we've learned a lot along the way. With pocket diapers and other modern diapers, wetness isn't an issue, but we were using prefolds and covers and every time he got slightly damp, he screamed in discomfort. This wouldn't really have been a problem except he was peeing every half hour, it seemed. I desperately searched for some way to alleviate his discomfort for a little while longer and discovered stay-dry liners. I purchased a 6 pack for more money than I should have paid. And since they are one use before they need washed, 6 just wasn't enough. I did some research and found that blizzard fleece works just the same way. It allows liquid to pass through and keeps baby's skin separated from the wet diaper. It's quite remarkable how the top stays completely dry while the diaper is soaking wet underneath.

I ended up getting the blizzard fleece from Jo-Ann Fabrics. I purchased half a yard of the white and I had a 50% off coupon. The price per liner ended up being a few cents. I ended up getting about 16 13"x 5.5" liners out of the half a yard. Way better than what I initially paid for the 6. I surged around the edges but that isn't necessary. It will just help them last longer. You could just zigzag stitch or do nothing at all.


Here you can see how nicely the size fits over a prefold in a diaper cover. The size also allows for bigger babies since there is a few inches tucked in.

No comments:

Post a Comment