Tuesday, April 30, 2013

Making Lifestyle Changes

Some weeks I have no idea what to write. Let's change pace a little and instead of a recipe or tutorial, I'll just "keep it real."

Friday was our 3 year wedding anniversary. As a gift to ourselves, we made a pact to get healthy so we can get as many more years out of our marriage as possible. We got a juicer, found a detox plan, and started running.

I've never been a runner in my life. I've always thought I would like to but I was also a smoker for almost 10 years. Those two things don't really go together. I'm actually coming up on my 2-year-smoke-free anniversary. So back to running. I knew it was going to be hard. I knew I wasn't going to be running miles (or even one) on the first try. I took it slow and went two intervals walking then running. In total I probably ran a half a mile. It's interesting, though, all the things you notice when you run for the first time. I had to think about breathing so I didn't start hyperventilating. That was a chore in itself. Also, my belly jiggles. That was a sort of disturbing experience. And fighting the urge to give up. Because, holy crap, it was almost every second. I kept making myself mini challenges and then going past them. "Make it to the lamp post and you can turn around...ok, now the tree...now the bench...etc" It worked. After making it past the initial super difficult part, it suddenly got a bit easier. So if anyone out there is thinking about starting running, do it! It's not easy and it is going to hurt but the amazing feeling you get afterwards is worth it.

Today officially starts the detox program. Hubby and I are working toward a 15 day vegetable and fruit based detox plan. I'm not sure how it's going to go. It will most likely be difficult. I can already predict my body screaming for carbs. And just for fun-sies, here's a picture of our refrigerator.


In case you were wondering, yes, there are 6 bunches of kale in there. So much green...

No comments:

Post a Comment