Tuesday, July 9, 2013

The No 'Poo Method: An Introduction

A few years ago I stumbled upon a web page about a way to keep your hair clean without shampoo or conditioner. It's called the no 'poo (no shampoo) method and it is a natural, chemical free way to keep your hair nice and clean.

Wait, you mean no shampoo? Like ever? Have you lost your mind?

Possibly. And for those of you who know me, I'm a former hair stylist...seriously. But I want to give it a real try.

Starting today, I'm going to try to do this for an entire month to see how it goes. I'll give a full report at the end of each week. And if I like it, I'll never use shampoo again!

I got lots of great information here.

The basic rundown of the no 'poo method is cleansing the hair with baking soda and water and then conditioning with vinegar and water. When we use shampoo, it strips our hair of the natural oils and then we need conditioner to replace them. The scalp notices the natural oils missing and kicks it into overdrive to make up for the lost oil, causing hair to become greasy. It seems to me that the only reason you need to use shampoo is because you used shampoo. Sounds kind of gimmicky to me. Baking soda is able to cleanse the hair and scalp without removing the natural oils so your hair can stay naturally conditioned. Not only does shampoo itself seem unnecessary but most shampoos on the market are full of things that you might want to think twice about putting on your body. I also read that this works wonders for curly hair, and having naturally curly hair, I am very interested to see if this holds true. There are a lot of products on the market that make all kinds of promises, and being a former hair dresser, I've quite literally tried almost all of them, but they never deliver. I know my fellow curly heads can attest to that. So here starts day one and come back next week to see how the first week went!

No comments:

Post a Comment