Tuesday, July 16, 2013

The No 'Poo Method: Week 1

Day 1: Prepared all the info and supplies to begin the No 'Poo adventure.

Day 2: I washed my hair with a clarifying shampoo 3 times. After doing that, I was convinced that there was no way on earth this was going to work and debated just smothering my hair with my usual conditioner. My hair had the consistency of "been bleached one too many times and just got out of a chlorinated pool." Ew. There was no way spraying vinegar and water on it was going to do anything. I did it anyway. After a million rinses I dried off my hair and grabbed my hair pick. Shockingly, it went right through my hair easier than if I had used a mountain of conditioner. I seriously seriously couldn't believe it. I thought for sure this was going to be a one-day failure.

Day 3: I didn't notice anything out of the ordinary.

Day 4: My hair started to smell a little funky to me so I washed it with a mixture of baking soda and water and did the regular vinegar and water conditioner. Everything seemed to be fine. Still no problem combing out my hair.

Day 5: Still good.

Day 6: I was starting to get paranoid so I asked my husband to smell my head. Sure enough, I was smelling a bit "off." He suggested I use a bit of essential oils in the baking soda mixture. Brilliant! I also decided that adding a bit more baking soda might be a good idea. I mixed up 1 1/2 cups of water with 3 Tbsp baking soda and 5 drops of Tea Tree essential oil. I scrubbed my scalp extra long this time just to make sure. Afterwards I could still smell the Tea tree oil. It smells nice.

Day 7: I asked my husband to smell my head again and he said it didn't smell like anything at all. I'd consider that a success. Maybe this will be a winning combination.

Overall, my hair doesn't feel greasy or like straw. My scalp isn't itchy and doesn't feel dirty. My hair does feel a bit softer and less coarse, though. I think if I keep up with the essential oils, I won't have to be paranoid about smelly hair, either. I did read about putting essential oils on your brush, too. I may try that.

No comments:

Post a Comment