Tuesday, May 21, 2013

Flats and Handwashing Challenge: How Much Did I Spend?

Today is day 2 of the Flats and Handwashing Challenge hosted by Dirty Diaper Laundry.


I went back through my online order receipts and crunched the numbers of the supplies I'm using this week. As far as the flats and covers I'm using, they aren't really the cheapest options by any means but if this is the only up front amount you pay, thousands of dollars are still being saved.

The supplies I'm using this week and what I paid are as follows:

24 large unbleached Diaper Rite flats 40.50
12 small unbleached Diaper Rite flats 14.00
6 Flip covers 69.75

Grand total: $124.25

All of these were purchased at Diaper Junction over the past year and a half. I bought the flats while they were on sale and one of the Flip Covers I have was free.

I have some optional things that I'm using that make diapering a lot easier. These aren't necessary but they are nice to have.

6 bumGenius stay dry liners 11.90
16 homemade blizzard fleece liners 1.75
diaper sprayer 29.97

This brings my total up to 167.87.

There are less costly covers on the market that work just as well as the Flips. Instead of purchasing flats they can be made. XXL jersey t-shirts that you already own or from thrift stores can be made into flats. One shirt gives you two diapers. Jo-Ann Fabrics and other fabric stores sell birdseye cotton that is the material for traditional flat diapers. There are many options to get the price down considerably lower and some people have even been known to cloth diaper for under $50.


No comments:

Post a Comment