Friday, May 24, 2013

Flats and Handwashing Challenge: The Ups and Downs

I think it's better to end a post on a positive note so I'll start with the things that aren't working out so well and end with what is working.

I think my main complaint would have to be the drying. Like I stated in Wednesday's post, I have no way to dry my diapers outdoors and the basement is too humid. To get them dry I have to drape them over baby gates, chairs, doorknobs, and anything else I can find. I suppose this would be no different than handwashing in the middle of winter, for some. If I were going to do this long-term, I would definitely find a different method and probably set up a retractable clothesline in the nursery. The washing does get tedious after a couple of days. I haven't been using any gloves but I would highly recommend it! My hands are getting pretty sore. Other than that there haven't really been any problems.

The flats are definitely working and we've had no leaks or blowouts at all. There has been no issues with fitting, either. Nighttime has actually been quite surprising. He has woken up inexplicably dry every morning, which I'm sure is extremely rare for a 14 month old. He hasn't woken up with extremely wet diapers for a month or so now, anyway. I've also been using stay-dry fleece liners, which have been a tremendous help.

I took my son out to a local coffee shop yesterday (don't worry, he just had water, haha) and took some flats along. I ended up having to change a messy diaper with no problems. I normally would've put him either in disposables or a pocket diaper for an outing but I wanted to complete the flats challenge. I found out that it really wasn't a big deal. Just make sure you have a few flats and an extra cover packed. Easy peasy.

Overall, if there was a better way for me to handwash and dry, I don't really see any problems with using flats and covers full time.

No comments:

Post a Comment